Monday, September 8, 2008

My Little Man Is Growing Up

Today is my son's first day of preschool all on his own.  Last year when he went his sister was also in the preschool, albeit in a different class, so he felt like he wasn't totally alone.  This year, McKenna's in kindergarten and he's the big man on campus (as much as a hallway in a church can be considered a "campus") and he's not freaked out.  I am impressed.  I'm also a little overwhelmed.

He's my little man, my youngest kid, and this is his last year of preschool.  Coming out of his classroom today he just looked and talked like an older boy.  He was his own man today and it really showed.

I picked him up and we walked to the van as he told me all about his first day of school.

"I played with two boys today, but I don't know their names yet.  We won't learn any names until tomorrow.  We didn't even have any time to go on the playground, I only got to go down the slide one time and then we had to leave."
"Yeah"
"And nobody got into trouble today."
"That's good!"
"I drew a lot of pictures today.  I colored myself in.  I did a really good job, my teacher said."
"Wow!"
I put him in the van.  "Sit down little man and buckle up"
"Okay daddy.  And one boy only colored himself all yellow and the teachers had to tell him to use different colors but she said I did a really good job."
"Well I'm proud of you bubba."
And I am proud of him.  I shut the sliding door and started to climb into the van.  A tear ran down my face.  My little man is growing up.

No comments: