Tuesday, October 21, 2008

What Kind of Fan Would I Be? Oh That's Right, I'd Be a Philadelphia Fan

I wore my Red Sox cap into Philadelphia yesterday and a lot of my coworkers and friends offered their condolences on the Red Sox disintegration in Tampa.  And then they asked me why I was still wearing the cap, as if their loss somehow meant I was going to pack it all in and stop supporting them.

I've never really understood that attitude, though I do see it a lot in Philly.  In Philly they seem more willing to abandon a team out of disgust, even if they're doing alright.  How can I call myself a fan if I'm going to just give up on them like that?  I guess being a Boston fan I'm used to being disappointed on a tragic scale, but it really is such a big difference between cities.  How did the sports culture in Philadelphia get so toxic?

No comments: